Canada: Using a Broker to Receive Your Insulation Machines

We deliver insulation machines across the Canada border every month. Canada Customs requires proper paperwork to import insulation equipment. Because of the intricacies involved in moving equipment across the border, all companies use a broker who is specialized and endorsed by Canada.

What are the down-sides of having us secure a broker?

We often set up our shipments with these brokers. However, it is always better for you to have your own broker. Here is why:

  1. It is always cheaper for your purchases.
  2. You can deduct the brokerage fees from your taxes.
  3. You are in control of your purchases.

99% of the time, your equipment will arrive on-time and smoothly. However, when we are trying to “push” your equipment across the border, we have had a few times when the equipment sat at the custom’s dock. It is far better for you to “pull” your equipment across, using your own broker.

What do you need to do to secure a broker?

All you need to do is to contact a broker. They will ask you to provide:

  • Details about who manufactures the goods: Cool Machines, Inc.
  • Where the goods are manufactured: Van Wert, Ohio
  • The end-use and/or user of the goods: Insulation equipment to insulate buildings
  • Value of the goods: Email them your invoice
  • Pay the broker, a fee for his services.

Here are a few brokers you can contact:

  • Universal Logistics Solutions, Eric Bailey, 313-965-8299
  • Livingston International, 888-958-7358
  • Cole International 519-250-5646